Is your food missing flavor??? If you add the right seasoning to your food it will taste amazing!!! Different seasonings offer different flavors to different foods. Some seasonings you would think twice about buying will add the perfect flavor and sweetness to your foods. Try seasonings such as, allspice, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, mace and nutmeg.
Some examples include:
- Add ginger to a fruit gaze. Blend frozen raspberries, blackberries or blueberries with a pinch of ginger and a small amount of fruit juice concentrate. Add the glaze to your favorite fruit for a fantastic fruit salad.
- Add one of the above seasonings to your morning coffee grinds before brewing.
- Add zest and sweet flavor to oatmeal and other cooked breakfast cereal with allspice, mace, or nutmeg. In place of water, cook you cereals with milk, for added calcium. Toss in your favorite dried fruit and roasted nuts for a perfect balanced meal.
- For a hint of sweet flavor in rice, cook with cardamom, cinnamon, or ginger. You an even add a little raisins or dried cranberries for added flavor and antioxidants.
- Add a touch of sweetness to cooked vegetables; for example, carrots with a hint of ginger, mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon, and spinach with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- Squeeze citrus juice – lemon or lime, over your fresh fruit to enhance the flavor.
- Create your own sweet syrup, in place of pancake syrup. In a blender, puree fresh or canned fruit with a touch of juice, honey and a pinch of cinnamon.
Did you know…..
1 tsp. fructose = 12 calories
1 tsp. honey = 21 calories
1 tsp. high fructose corn syrup = 18 calories
1 tsp. jelly = 17 calories
1 tsp. brown sugar = 16 calories
1 tsp. table sugar = 15 calories