Super Bowl Sunday is February 3rd! However, do not let one day sabotage your healthy habits. You can eat healthy at a super bowl party without feeling deprived.
1. Order pizza or “make your own” for your super bowl party! Make sure to order the pizza without the cheese, or easy cheese and always get lots of veggies on your pizza. Most places will now give you the option of grilled chicken, canadian bacon or Ham. Grilled chicken is much lower in saturated fat and calories then sausage or pepperoni. However, if you are following a low sodium diet, take caution with ham and canadian bacon.
2. Use plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream to mix up the dip. Use baked or low-fat chips and veggies for dipping.
3. Drink fruit enhanced waters and sparkling water instead of regular soda or juice. Keep alcohol to a minimum. Excessive drinks = excessive calories!
4. Air popped corn and roasted nuts! It’s like a healthy cracker jacks.
5. Buy organic corn tortillas, cut, spray with a mist of olive oil and bake until crispy!!! Homemade tortilla chips! Serve with fresh salsa, hummus, or cottage cheese dip.
6. Make submarine sandwiches using reduced fat mayo, mustard, low-fat cheese and lean deli meats like (nitrate free) turkey breast. Skip the ham, salami and bologna. Pile on the vegetables such as, pepper strips, sprouts, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, pickles, cucumbers and grated carrots. Pick whole wheat buns, pita bread or wraps.
7. Order a fruit and/or vegeables tray from your local grocery store instead of a cheese tray.
8. Make a pot of vegetarian chili instead of regular beef based, or use reduced fat (7% lean) ground turkey breast.
- Make a potato bar with chili as a topping.
- Use chili on top of baked tortilla chips
9. Skip the cheese and crackers and substitute with hummus and baked pita chips or crunchy vegetables.
10. Instead of chicken wings, make chicken fingers using boneless, skinless chicken breast strips, dipped in milk and seasoned bread crumbs and bake at 425 for 10 minutes (cooked through, but still moist). Dip into honey mustard sauce or barbecue sauce.
11. Make organic turkey or beef lean meatballs and serve with mini whole wheat rolls.
12. Garbanzo beans baked are a great super bowl snack. Drain a can of garbanzo beans, pat dry, place on baking sheet, season with lemon juice and pepper. Bake 10-15 minutes until slightly toasted.
13. A taco bar is a great idea for a super bowl meal.Use soft corn tortillas, beans (as a vegetarian option), ground turkey, shredded beef or chicken, even grilled fish. With all you favorite toppings. Limit avocado on your taco and use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream!
14. Quinoa, beans, with avocado pieces, diced bell peppers, chopped cilantro with a lemon juice dressing makes a great super bowl side dish.
15. Baked french fries: wash and slice potatoes or sweet potatoes, spread onto baking sheet and spray with olive oil spray, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for 15-25 minutes depending on size of potato slices. Enjoy!!