Snacks should be healthy! They should also be used when you are truly hungry. Sometimes people will snack because of “time”. They feel like, let’s say, 10am is snack time or 3pm is snack time. However, snacks should be used when you are HUNGRY!!! The other thing is snacks should be healthy. Chips, crackers, pop tarts, candy and etc. are not healthy snacks.
Pumpkin Trail mix:
This recipe makes 24 servings
- 1/4 cup Sucanat or whole cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup unsalted whole almonds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsalted pecan halves
- 1 cup roasted salted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons all-natural apple juice
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 250°. Mix Sucanat, cinnamon, paprika, and pumpkin pie spice in small bowl. Set aside.
Place almonds, oats, pecans, pepitas, and walnuts in large bowl. Mix together pumpkin puree and apple juice; pour over nut mixture and toss until nuts are evenly coated. Sprinkle with spice mixture, tossing to coat well. Spread evenly on two baking pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes, stirring halfway through cook time. Cool completely. Stir in cranberries and raisins. Store in airtight container.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
This recipe is perfect for your sweet tooth craving. Makes 1 serving
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/8 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- Cinnamon to taste
Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Scrape batter from sides of bowl and flatten into a cookie shape. Microwave for 45 seconds. Cool completely.
Sweet potato cottage cheese and cranberry muffins
Makes 8-10 muffins
- 4 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or 1/8 cup splenda brown sugar
- 1 egg or 2 eggs whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat or fat free small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato, mashed
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (or frozen)
Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add flour and baking powder; stir until just combined. Stir in cranberries.
Scoop mixture into greased muffin tins. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.