Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Keep it interesting, delicious and fueling with these simple recipes:
Italian Poached egg: Add a small amount of oil to a skillet pan, or use a nonstick spray. Add 1/4 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Saute for a few minutes, until onion starts to cook down. Add 1/4-1/3 cup spaghetti sauce, crack an egg and add in pan on top of onion and spaghetti sauce. Cook skillet pan with a lid, cook for about 5-7 minutes. Serve with whole wheat toast, pita pocket or enjoy with 1 cup fruit!
Texas scrambled eggs: In a small skillet pan, spray with nonstick spray or use a bit of oil. Saute 1/8 jalapeno pepper, diced and seeds removed, 1/4 cup bell peppers, diced, 2-3 Tbsp. onions and 1/2 tomato, diced. Once vegetables are slightly cooked down, add 2 beaten eggs or 4 egg whites, and scramble. Serve with chopped cilantro and salsa. Serve with corn tortilla.
Bell pepper egg ring: Spray skillet pan with nonstick spray. Slice a large bell pepper ring and place in skillet. Crack a whole egg into the large bell pepper, allow to cook 1-2 minutes and flip. Cook until egg yolk is cooked to your likeness.
- Enjoy with a corn tortilla, or a slice of whole wheat toast or 1/2 cup brown rice.
- Add 1-2 slices of avocado
Blueberry and Almond Muesli
1/2 cup dry oats
1/2 cup milk (soy, almond or fat free milk)
1/2 cup blueberries
2 Tbsp. roasted almonds
Combine all dry ingredients. Pour milk over oat mixture and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes or soak overnight. Enjoy!
Carrot Cake Oatmeal
Makes 6 servings
- 2 1/4 cups dry oats
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 1/2 cups milk (any variety)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated ginger or 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease a 10-cup/2.5 qt. casserole dish. I used an 8″ x 11″ rectangular casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rolled oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: shredded carrot, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and fresh ginger.
- Add the wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish and smooth out with a spoon. Press down on the oatmeal with a spoon (or your hands) so the oats sink into the milk. Sprinkle on the walnuts and raisins and press down lightly again.
- Bake, uncovered, for 32-37 minutes (I baked for 35 mins.) until lightly golden along edge. The oatmeal will still look a bit soft or wet in some spots when it comes out of the oven, but it will firm up as it cools.
Banana Breakfast Cookies
* Makes about 8 cookies (2 cookies per serving)
Preheat oven to 350. Pulse 1 cup dry oats in food processor until they resemble a coarse flour. Combine flour with 1/2 cup dry oats, 1 beaten egg, 3/4 cup milk, 1 ripe mashed banana, 1/2 cup raisins, 2 Tbsp. wheat germ or ground flax seeds, 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. honey, and dash of salt.
Place batter on cooking sheet and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Enjoy with 1 cup fruit or small size fruit.